Waite Park Community Council Meeting Notes
June 1, 2011
7:00 Call to order
7:01 Introductions and sign in: Gabe Nelson, Alita Bergan, Mary Farnham, Ann Kastensen, Anthony Beard, Amy Softich, Tia Karelson, Connie Stauffer, John Harriss, Gary Arntsen, Jeff Martin, Dwight Lindberg, Chris Shepard, Scott Gagnon
7:05 Additions and corrections to agenda (Agenda Approved)
Approval of previous month's minutes (Minutes Approved as Amended)
Financial report (Financial Report Approved)
7:05 Guest Speakers and Standing Guests:
7:05 Reports - Committee and Special -- 2 minutes or less per speaker:
- Minneapolis Parks and Rec Scott Gagnon: Just had their first school festival and survived the recent rain. Spring sports and T-Ball are being hosted in WP. Rec-Plus (day care) is currently full, with a waiting list. First outdoor movie coming up on June 27, Yogi Bear. Windom Carnival is also coming up this Friday, June 3rd.
- Fall Festival Mary Farnham: Culver's is donating ice cream. "Be the Match" is also going to attend the Fall Festival. Be the Match plans to sign up people for the bone marrow register.
- Community Education Sandy McDonald: N/A
- Northeast Chamber of Commerce Rpt Gabe Nelson: NE Parade is on Tuesday June 21st. WPCC will be participating in the parade. The parade starts at 6:30.
- Public Education NE Alita Bergan: On June 22, 6:00 to 8:00pm, there is going to be a discussion at the Windom Community Center to discuss increased enrollment.
- Waite Park Voice / Web Site Anthony Beard: Deadline is this Friday, June 3rd.
- Communications Committee Amy Softich: Community energy services recently sent out a flier to all of the residents in NE. We are also moving forward on a welcome package (magnets, coffee mugs, shopping bags, etc.). If there is money left out of the $1,500, we plan to purchase some stickers. Fall festival publicity was also discussed. We are looking to get street signs that signify where our neighborhood boundaries are.
- Waite Park Community Garden Connie Stauffer: The garden is full. Connie is meeting with the garden's steering group to discuss communications, which has been an issue in the past. Opening day was May 14th.
- Correspondence Committee Gary Arnsten: NRC has a new publication, "In Touch." The new publication discusses community engagement on a frequent basis. The county is resurfacing Stinson through St Anthony Parkway.
- NRP/CPED Steering Committee Gary Arnsten: WP lost $37k because of city cuts. NCEC election deadline has been extended through Friday, June 3rd, as not all of the slots were filled.
Community Energy Services Volunteer Open House - Tuesday, June 14th 6-8pm Logan Recreation Center, 690 13th Ave NE: see above.
NE Parade - Tuesday June 21st: The parade starts at 6:30pm. For people participating in the parade, you need to be at Sherman Yards by 5:30.
7:45 Old Business:
7:45 New Business:
Next Agenda Setting Meeting: Thursday, June 30, 2011
Next WPCC Meeting: Wednesday, July 6, 2011
Meetings Held at Waite Park Community Center