July 2011 Archives
Time: 9:00 a.m. to 2:30 p.m.
Join us for a day of Carnival fun and games for the young and the young at heart. Enjoy great food, fun games, and the celebration of the 6th anniversary of the "Battle of the Bird Houses" Silent Auction. All of the proceeds from this event will go to the Residents' Sunshine Club that provides outings, entertainment and holiday gifts for our residents.
- DONATE: Slightly used "treasures," canned pop, and packaged snacks for a Carnival Game called "Spin-to-Win." The deadline for Spin-to-Win items is noon on Friday, July 8.
- DUNK TANK: Be a member of "Team Dunk Tank." All you have to do is donate 15 minutes of your time. We'll provide the water and the towels. Pick a time you would be available between 9:15 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. on July 9, 2011.
- WANTED: Fudge Makers courageous enough to match their skills against our reigning #1 fudge maker, Jane Kupcho. How? Volunteer to make 1 batch of your legendary fudge. Your fudge will be entered into a "blind" taste test against other yummy fudges. Carnival attendees purchasing a "Judge the Fudge" sampler plate will vote for the tastiest fudge. Look for the "Judge the Fudge" booth. The winner will be announced at 2:00 p.m.
- Be The Match / National Marrow Donor Program informational table present.
For more information email Mary Farnham at 612-788-9757 or email her at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Waite Park Community Council Meeting Notes
June 1, 2011
7:00 Call to order
7:01 Introductions and sign in: Gabe Nelson, Alita Bergan, Mary Farnham, Ann Kastensen, Anthony Beard, Amy Softich, Tia Karelson, Connie Stauffer, John Harriss, Gary Arntsen, Jeff Martin, Dwight Lindberg, Chris Shepard, Scott Gagnon
7:05 Additions and corrections to agenda (Agenda Approved)
Approval of previous month's minutes (Minutes Approved as Amended)
Financial report (Financial Report Approved)
7:05 Guest Speakers and Standing Guests:
7:05 Reports - Committee and Special -- 2 minutes or less per speaker:
- Minneapolis Parks and Rec Scott Gagnon: Just had their first school festival and survived the recent rain. Spring sports and T-Ball are being hosted in WP. Rec-Plus (day care) is currently full, with a waiting list. First outdoor movie coming up on June 27, Yogi Bear. Windom Carnival is also coming up this Friday, June 3rd.
- Fall Festival Mary Farnham: Culver's is donating ice cream. "Be the Match" is also going to attend the Fall Festival. Be the Match plans to sign up people for the bone marrow register.
- Community Education Sandy McDonald: N/A
- Northeast Chamber of Commerce Rpt Gabe Nelson: NE Parade is on Tuesday June 21st. WPCC will be participating in the parade. The parade starts at 6:30.
- Public Education NE Alita Bergan: On June 22, 6:00 to 8:00pm, there is going to be a discussion at the Windom Community Center to discuss increased enrollment.
- Waite Park Voice / Web Site Anthony Beard: Deadline is this Friday, June 3rd.
- Communications Committee Amy Softich: Community energy services recently sent out a flier to all of the residents in NE. We are also moving forward on a welcome package (magnets, coffee mugs, shopping bags, etc.). If there is money left out of the $1,500, we plan to purchase some stickers. Fall festival publicity was also discussed. We are looking to get street signs that signify where our neighborhood boundaries are.
- Waite Park Community Garden Connie Stauffer: The garden is full. Connie is meeting with the garden's steering group to discuss communications, which has been an issue in the past. Opening day was May 14th.
- Correspondence Committee Gary Arnsten: NRC has a new publication, "In Touch." The new publication discusses community engagement on a frequent basis. The county is resurfacing Stinson through St Anthony Parkway.
- NRP/CPED Steering Committee Gary Arnsten: WP lost $37k because of city cuts. NCEC election deadline has been extended through Friday, June 3rd, as not all of the slots were filled.
Community Energy Services Volunteer Open House - Tuesday, June 14th 6-8pm Logan Recreation Center, 690 13th Ave NE: see above.
NE Parade - Tuesday June 21st: The parade starts at 6:30pm. For people participating in the parade, you need to be at Sherman Yards by 5:30.
7:45 Old Business:
7:45 New Business:
Next Agenda Setting Meeting: Thursday, June 30, 2011
Next WPCC Meeting: Wednesday, July 6, 2011
Meetings Held at Waite Park Community Center